Initiatives and Projects
The Friends of Nancy Island and Wasaga Beach Park support many different projects within Wasaga Beach Provincial Park. Some of these initiatives include:
- Providing summer student staff for the Discovery Program; the Friends apply for grants and summer student funding through many organizations, as well as providing their own funding towards topping up student positions at the park.
- Organizing Special Events such as Wasaga Under Siege, a re-enactment event at Nancy Island which includes 1812 re-enactors, historical demonstrations, and heritage activities.
- Providing support to the Piping Plover Recovery Program through applications to the Species at Risk Fund; this helps provide staff, supplies, and equipment to the Piping Plover Recovery effort at the park.
- Supporting other special events in the park such as Ploverpalooza, a weekend celebration of Piping Plovers at Wasaga Beach which includes games, crafts, and activities for the whole family; and Snowman Mania at the Wasaga Nordic and Trail Centre.
- Providing funding towards conservation of the hull of the HMS Nancy, including installing an HVAC system, hiring staff for artefact restoration and preservation, providing protective window coverings, and applying moisture sealants to the floor of the hull enclosure.
- Contributing to resource management and habitat restoration projects such as invasive species removal, marram grass planting, and dune restoration.
- Funding research and monitoring initiatives in Wasaga Beach Provincial Park such as the Eastern Hog-nosed Snake Research Project from 2001 – 2005.
- Managing the Bench Dedication Program which involves installing multiple commemorative benches throughout Wasaga Beach Provincial Park.
- Operating the Treasure Chest Store at Nancy Island Historic Site.
- Funding new technological equipment, displays, costumes, props, and educational supplies to the Discovery Program at Wasaga Beach Provincial Park.
- Maintaining this website, which includes visitor information about the park, Nancy Island Historic Site, natural and cultural heritage themes, and other important park messaging.