The Wasaga Beach Welcome Centre
Photo Credit: Enrique Photo Art
Ontario Parks has replaced the orientation building at Nancy Island Historic Site in celebration of the War of 1812 Bicentennial. Nancy Island has served as a historic site since 1928 and is the most viable and related site to the War of 1812 in Simcoe County and the Georgian Bay Region. It represents a major event during the War of 1812 - HMS Nancy's August 14, 1814 battle against three American schooners. The island houses the charred hull and artifacts of the HMS Nancy from the pivotal moment in Canadian history. The borders of Canada today are a direct result of the valiant struggle of the Nancy and her crew.
The Welcome Centre, designed by Ontario Parks architect Matthew Harvey, houses a gift shop, staff offices, meeting space, tourist information, washrooms, and interpretative displays relating to both Nancy Island and Wasaga Beach.